✓ Item added to cart
Carved Wood Lion Book Ends - Set of 2
These safari animal book ends are hand-carved from jacaranda wood and feature a lion and book-stop. Each piece is approximately 4 inches tall.
- Natural wood finish.
- Because these are made by hand using rudimentary hand tools, no two are identical and variations are to be appreciated and enjoyed by the consumer.
- Periodically treat wood with food-grade mineral oil or olive oil to maintain their beauty and luster.
- Socially responsible goods that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate poverty.
- Fair Trade is so much more than a product assortment. It's about safe workplaces, fair wages + community investment for factory employees.
- Ethically handmade in Kenya from sustainably sourced wood.
THE STORY BEHIND THE PRODUCT
Artisan Organization: Jedando
"Working with more than 100 individual carvers in Machakos, Kenya, Jedando Modern Handicrafts markets African handicrafts primarily made of wood and bone worldwide. Carving is a tradition in Kenya with the children learning the craft from their parents. Carved by hand using only rudimentary hand tools, olive wood bowls, salad serving sets, and animal-shaped napkin rings take shape from pieces of olive wood, mahogany, and mpingo, or "African Ebony." An integral part of the organization's function is to educate the craftspeople on the need for reforestation to enable the products to be available for years to come and offer a sustainable income for generations. While wood carving provides the major income for many in the Machakos area, other craftspeople earn a living by further enhancing the products including painting the napkin rings and carving discarded animal bone for the handles of salad serving sets. Often the bone is "batiked" by placing wax on the white bone and dipping the bone a dark brown/black dye, resulting in patterns African mud cloth designs."